Sunday 30 May 2010

Wonky Cake


For pete's mums birthday I wanted to attempt a 2 tier wonky cake - inspired by Lindy Smith.

I made 2 deep circular cakes to allow me to cut and shape the cakes into a wonky style. however the cakes didn't rise as much as I had hoped and I needed to use both the cakes for the lower tear. I cut the cake, shaped it and stuck it together, it always looks incredibly messy. however once i had covered the cake in butter icing and filled in any gaps that were left it looked good.

for the top tier as my 2 cakes didn't work out I cheated a little bit and bought a small pre made victoria sponge. which I then did the same as the bottom tier cut a good wonky shape and carved it out to make it smooth. and covered it with butter icing.

for the bottom tier I used white roll out icing to cover it and then using more roll out icing I had coloured pink and violet i decorated the cake with flowers.
Once I was happy with the bottom tier I moved on to the top tier. I covered the top with the same coloured pink icing i had used for flowers. and using the purple I put strips onto the cake and highlighted it with white icing. then finished off with a purple icing ribbon on top. to make it look like a present on top of the cake.

I used cocktail sticks through the bottom tier to secure the top tier to the cake and ensure it didn't slip off.

to tidy up the bottom of the cake I put an icing ribbon round the base.

I was very happy with how it turned out and it tasted gorgeous!

No comments:

Post a Comment